This Friday, I participated in the Global Climate Strike at the Legislature Buildings in Victoria. I am extremely passionate about protecting our planet from those in power who continue to destroy it, as I think everyone should be. I was proud to join the thousands of people, young and old, skipping school, university, and their jobs to strike that day.

One of the most powerful moments of the day for me was realizing the amount of elementary and middle-school aged children were there, chanting and holding up signs without any prompting from adults. People were applauding them and taking up their chants, these young people being the true initiators of this revolt. They are so much more informed than I was at their age, and they are so adamant because they are forced to be in order to have an Earth to live on when they reach my age.

Part of the peaceful protest involved a communal mural painting. My friends and I watched the entirety of its creation. It was really moving to watch the artists hand paintbrushes to people in the crowd and involve them in the painting, making it such a moment of community and togetherness. At the end, we were able to see the sea and mountains that they created, and read the the words: “ELEVEN YEARS TO CHANGE EVERYTHING”. I am so glad to have participated in this strike, and look forward to continuing to be a part of this amazing, and crucial movement.